Pop-up stores are more than just a trend. They are increasingly becoming a way of doing business for more and more retailers. A pop-up shop is a smaller retail location that is different in several ways from a bricks-and-mortar retail store. Pop-ups can be temporary locations, but they can also remain in place for a longer period of time. Their name comes from the fact that they can very quickly “pop up” in an existing space.
Pop-up shops come in a variety of shapes, sizes and types. Some are found within traditional retail stores (such as a “store within a store”) while others exist as kiosks inside shopping malls, airports, train stations, stadiums and other public spaces. For example, consider the new Tim Hortons location at Union Station in Toronto or the retail stores at Petco Park in San Diego.
The Challenges of Securing Pop-Up Shops
Due to their nature, a number of challenges exist when it comes to securing pop-up retail. These challenges include:
- Their design makes it very difficult to lock away valuables securely inside the kiosk.
- They are often located in very public areas with no boundaries: i.e. there are no walls or doors to protect them from the public.
- They vary in size greatly from shop to shop.
- Pop-up stores are often very open, which increases customer engagement, but makes security difficult.
- Since they are often located inside another property, they are often not secured by their own alarm system or security cameras.
As you can see, securing a pop-up retail store is quite challenging. Traditional alarm systems, security cameras and fixed security bars do not serve much purpose. There are no windows or doors to place fixed bars on and there are no walls to attach cameras or alarm systems. Using these tools may not be possible, depending on the location.
Since pop-up kiosks vary in size, shape and type, many owners of pop-up stores are stumped when it comes to how to protect them.
Mobile Security Gates and Pop-Up Shops and Kiosks
Mobile security gates are an excellent way to protect pop-up retail. This is true for a number of reasons:
- Mobile security gates are incredibly flexible, so they can be used in a variety of different situations, from a kiosk in a train station to a retail store inside a stadium and just about anywhere else.
- They can be linked together to secure larger areas if necessary, making them effective at properties of any size.
- They do not need to be secured to walls, doors or windows, which is perfect for pop-up stores that frequently do not have any of these.
- Mobile security gates can easily be moved and stored when not in use, which comes in handy at retail locations where physical space is at a premium.
- Mobile security gates are a cost-effective solution, especially when compared to other, less effective forms of security.
- As a strong form of physical security, mobile gates work to deter criminals in ways that other security tools simply cannot.
As you can see, there are an incredible number of benefits to using portable mobile security gates at your pop-up store. These security tools increase the level of security to keep your location safe and secure when business is closed.
Want some more helpful tips to improving the security of your business? Download our helpful guide to Improving Your Security Mindset.